Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vacation is OVER! back to school... D:

Our first mission for the E-Portfolio, BLOG POST! for this semester was to write about our first two weeks at school! (: From this semester, we've started to learn about electricity, which is really interesting, and have some funny experiments! Also, we learned about eight goals, which was on our awesome green&blue paper and also yellow goal sheet. 

However, before all of these, on the very first day, we watched a video on Youtube, and it was about Yoda (the...small green creature...) and .....  the Star-wars guy(I don't know his name but.. yeah). 
This is the video we watched. 



We discussed after watching this video (and Yoda was so cute! xD) what can be the lesson from this video. And Mrs. Silva gave us some awesome lessons, and also Yoda and our classmates did, :P .. that we have to do our best, and try try try A LOT and to NEVER GIVE UP! (: At the beginning of last semester, we watched a video of a doctor, who tried many times and finally approved his goal. And also this semester, we had the same message to never forget, during the whole year, furthermore, our life. 

___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.

Anyways, back to the story about what we did... We did some experience related to magnetic, to understand the general idea of the magnetism. And this is really similar to what we did. 



We made this Electromagnet with battery, nail, wire, tape, and some paper clips. 
The wire and battery connected make an electric current pass around the nail and changed the nail's properties. I worked with Bruno A. and Luciana. I put the wire around the nail to make the spiral shape, and while I was doing it, Bruno and Luci took the cover off of the wire, so that we and connect the wire to the battery. Super faster than other groups, our electromagnet worked for the first group. However, to improve the electromagnet, we've put some tape to hold the wire still, but it makes the situation worse. It was working when we were holding the wire by ourselves, but it suddenly didn't work when we putted the tape around the nail and the battery. 

But not only for that problem, I think the way how we rolled the wire around the nail was the problem also. At first, it was really tight, but from third, and fourth time, the wire around the nail was kind of loose than before. I think that is one of the cause of the fail. And also I thought about how did it work, and after learning 8 topics, (I will talk about it very soon), I knew that it attracts the paper clips because the current flowing through the battery also moves through the wire, since they are connected. 

___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.


And also we learned the 8 goals from the yellow Goal sheet, which is...

EM1. I can explain how electric charges interact.
EM2. I can give examples of how charges can be transferred between materials and explain them.
EM3. I can explain how an electric current is produced.
EM4. I can compare conductors with insulators.
EM5. I can explain how resistance affects current.
EM6. I can use Ohm's law to calculate resistance, current or voltage.
EM7. I can build series and parallel circuits and describe its parts.
EM8. I can explain the relationship between power, voltage and current.

And every each group got one topic to present, and our group; Bruno A., Luciana, got the goal number 3. We looked at the book and searched some, but only thing there was the information saying that "the electric current is a continuous flow of the electrons", so we decided to make an poster about the electrons moving around the wire and make the presentation mostly about the movement of the current. 
this is our poster! 

we tried to explain how the electrons move in the wire,(which is a current), with the arrows that shows the direction of the movement! (:

and I will briefly explain about the goals ↓

EM1. I can explain how electric charges interact.
Unlike poles - attract
Like poles - repel

EM2. I can give examples of how charges can be transferred between materials and explain them.
Material steal the electrons from one another!
however, not every materials have ability to steal electrons from one another..
3 types to charge the object: Charging by... 
1. Friction : by rubbing
2. Conduction : by touching
3. Induction : by second object that creates an electric field.

EM3. I can explain how an electric current is produced.
Electric current is the continuous flow of electric charges through the material. 
Unit for the electric current is A, which is called ampere

EM4. I can compare conductors with insulators.
conductors :
 -transfer electric charge well.
-A conductor's electron is bound loosely and are able to move throughout the conductor.
insulators :
- an insulator doesn't transfer electric charge well.
- They are used to stop the flow of charges.

EM5. I can explain how resistance affects current.
Resistance ↑ ... Current ↓
Factors that determine resistance :
-material of the wire (if the meterial is like iron, the resistance decreases, but if it's like wood, the resistance increases.)
-the length of the wire (if the length of the wire increase, the resistacne decrease. if the length of the wire decrease, the resistance increase.)
-the diameter of the wire (if the diameter of the wire decrease, the resistance increase. if the diameter of the wire increase, the resistance decrease.)
-temperature (if the temperature increase, the resistance decrease. if the temperature decrease, the resistance increase.)

EM6. I can use Ohm's law to calculate resistance, current or voltage.
R = V / C

EM7. I can build series and parallel circuits and describe its parts.
Series circuit : only one path
Parallel circuit: : several paths
+ need Energy source, resistor, and switch to make a circuit.

EM8. I can explain the relationship between power, voltage and current.
Power = Voltage x Current
If the voltage and current increase, power also increases.


___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.___.


And also, we had a PROJECT to make an simple motor. 
I researched on the internet (Google, Youtube, and even in Korean portal site..) and found some of the easiest simple motors. And I found really interesting video with the title "World simplest Motor" (video down there..! :D )and I thought that it would be great.




 However some of my friends who already did this experiment before told me that it has low possibility to move it. So I decided to do the motor which was really understandable to me. And then........ I DID IT! (:  
It worked easily, and I think it's because I made the copper wire very light and exactly circular. 

So, this is the video of my motor, and me (: haha 

As you can see at 00:10, this motor is only moving when the wire is connected to the battery. At 00:10, I made the wire NOT connected to the battery, and you can see that the movement of the copper wire, which was moving continuously just stopped :D 
and I'm not sure why the motor spinned, but I think it's because the magnet under the copper wire had a magnetic field, and that affected the wire, because of the character that positive and negative charge attracts each other. 


self reflection : it was quite hard to make a motor, because sometimes it didn't work, and also the wire on the other wire was keep falling down, so I couldn't make the wire stay on the top of it, so it was one of the difficulties. However, I think that i could do it because my friend and mom helped me with making the motor, and they told me the skills to be more successful. (;

+
If you want to make the motor, don't worry about failing, and just try it! (: 
It's worthy to do it for understanding the motor, and as we talked about UP THERE....


YODA: NEVER GIVE UP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment